The Craft Farm is located near historical Somerset, Ohio. Somerset was founded in 1807 and the town formally laid out in 1810. It was originally called Middletown because it was half way between Lancaster and Zanesville. The name was changed later to Somerset because many of the early settlers had come from Somerset, Pennsylvania. Today, it is a quaint but bustling town of 1550 people with historical points of interest, shopping and restaurants, two elementary schools, and a few churches.
St. Joseph’s Catholic Church is the state’s oldest Catholic church and sits on 320 rolling acres just outside of Somerset. Holy Trinity Catholic Church and Elementary School are located right on St. Rt. 13. Somerset United Methodist Church is on St. Rt. 22, just across the street from Somerset Elementary. The North Market Street Church of Christ is located on North Market Street.
The Somerset Public Square has a life-size bronze statue of Phillip Sheridan, who spent his boyhood in Somerset. Born March 6, 1831, he was a general in the Union Army during the Civil War. He died in 1888. Rumor has it that his faithful horse is preserved and still available for viewing at the Smithsonian Institute in Washington, D.C. The local high school is named Sheridan Generals after him.
There are many historic buildings and homes in Somerset. The Clay Haus Restaurant was established in 1812 and is in one of the oldest buildings in Somerset. This historic home is located just south of the square. Phil Sheridan’s parents’ home is down the street at the south end of town.
Buckeye Lake is just a few minutes north on St. Rt. 13, offering boating, swimming, and fishing. Lake Isabella is a family oriented recreational facility offering swimming, fishing, putt putt golf, shelter house facilities and limited boating about 20 minutes east of Somerset.
We recommend using Google Maps to map directions from Somerset, Ohio to your location or any other location.